farmstand green beans & polenta*




This is a recipe I adapted from Skinny Bitch in the Kitch, one of my favorite vegan cookbooks. There are only 6 ingredients and it's super easy. The original recipe has you making your own polenta but Trader Joes sells a delicious organic version that cuts a lot of time off making this dish. Crusty french bread and a nice glass of red wine go really well with this.
~Ingredients~
A big bunch of organic green beans cleaned and prepped
1 organic red pepper diced
1/2 onion
2 vegan Italian style sausages cut into slices (I like TJ's brand)
1-2 cloves chopped garlic
1 pkg organic polenta
On a cast iron skillet or other heavy pan, brush lightly with olive oil and place sliced polenta on to brown. Polenta doesn't brown easily so do this step first and try to get as much color on the polenta as possible.
In another saute pan, begin browning the onion, pepper, garlic, green beans, s&p and sausage in olive oil. I will usually cover the pan in order for the veggies to steam a bit. Remove the cover and let them get good and crispy. When the polenta is as crispy as you can get it and the veggies are done place 3 slices of the polenta on a plate and arrange the veggies on top. Drizzle with a good balsamic vinegar.
*not a single animal was harmed in the making of this dish.

19 comments

  1. I love your addendum about harming animals :)

    I have really been enjoying your vegan recipes. I'm vegetarian, but trend towards vegan a lot of days. I made a wonderful recipe from Veg Times last week, I believe it's called Mexican Polenta - right up your alley.

    Enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried that Tofurky (can I say that?) brand italian sausage and although I wasn't in love with it on it's own, I thought it would be a good flavor to add in with some other things so I'm eager to give this a try. I love green beans and polenta so how can I go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks an amazing recipe Janet - quite delcious thank you so much - will note it down with all my other wonderful blog gathered ones x

    ReplyDelete
  4. As luck would have it, I'm heading out to the store shortly and this is a perfect dinner for tonight - it has everything I love!
    I love when you post recipes and where you find them...it's always so nice to try something new.
    Hope your day is a wonderful one ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet, did not know you are a vegan. I am, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummm...luv polenta! Looks really good and I'll have to try that recipe some time.
    -marie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janet, It sounds absolutely delicious! What a great farm fresh meal. And love polenta with just about anything - it's so good! X Trina

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, looks great, gotta try it...thanks for sharing. have a great weekend! verbena cottage

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw that book at the library today! I had never heard of her before and now this post! Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm! That looks so good! So colorful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops, sorry! The comment from "Sydney", above, is from me. I'm on my teen's computer and didn't realize I wasn't signed in under my account!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Janet!!
    Thanks for your visit and your kind words.
    Happy weekend!!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  13. A sweet hello from Frog Hollow Farm. Great looking dish - wonderful colors and presentation. Ciao, bella!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love Polenta - Love the Bitches....I read their first book in a day and haven't touched an animal product since.

    Keep up with the great recipes

    ReplyDelete
  15. Darling Janet, looks very, very good and easy to do, even for me!! Bet you went out looking for the ingredients and something must have caught your attention, but, remember, you can`t get anything (for a long time, je je)
    Better get busy in the kitchen!!!
    Hugs,
    Maria Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  16. mmmmmmmm...so yummy! i just got a subscription to a cooking magazine, so hopefully i can learn a thing or two.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy! Sounds like a project for tomorrow, if I can find somewhere that sells polenta.

    ReplyDelete

kindness is never out of style.

Back to Top