cleaning tools


I am one of those weirdos that likes to clean but you already knew that.  I also have a friend that owns her own cleaning business so when we get together we like to chat about favorite cleaning products and tools.  She told me about a a duster that she has put in all her employee's kits.  She also surprised me with one of my very own.  I actually waited a few months to even unbox it and try it but OMG, do I love it.  THIS is the exact duster on Amazon. 



I am so surprised by what a good job this duster does.  It is so delicate and effective at the same time.  Most everything in my house is very old and some things are pretty fragile.  This old portrait and frame fall into that category.  Before this duster cleaning it was slow and a little scary because I didn't want to crack the paint or damage the frame.  Now just a gentle swipe and it's dust free.   I'll also say that this isn't for super grimy or greasy surfaces.  Before I began using it, I did a pretty deep clean on all the surfaces I planned to use it on.  Now it's just a weekly maintenance type thing.  The manufacturer recommends just taking it outside and shaking it out.  I did that for awhile but then one day I just filled the sink with a little Laundress Wool & Cashmere detergent and gave it a few swishes and line dried it and it went right back to its original condition.



I no longer have to get a step stool for cleaning the light fixtures. 





It gets into deep crevices like on this ornate mirror. 



It's fabulous on really delicate fabrics like this silk chinoserie screen.  This is so old and fragile just looking at it deteriorates it. But now the gentleness of this duster is perfect for it.



Easily gets anything curved too.



I especially like it on this old wicker table because wiping it down with a cloth would continually remove the old paint. 




It also has a nice, generous size so not a lot of back and forth is needed.


It gets the picture and that tiny space between the frame and moulding all at once.

So if cleaning or not cleaning is your thang, this may be right for you or possibly a gift for the holidays?  I like getting things like this that I would never take the time or money to purchase for myself. 

xo

21 comments

  1. I have this duster and absolutely love it! You described the cleaning process perfectly, it's best to deep clean first and upkeep thereafter is a breeze. I loved seeing the beautiful details of your home...the light fixture, art and mirror are dreamy :)
    xoxo Deni

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom had one of these and it was great! I immediately ordered--thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually have my Mom's lambswool duster so it's really old, maybe 40 years. I love it and I'm always surprised at how much dust is in it when I take it outside and shake it. I've never washed it so it's on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually have one of these also, but have not used it in months. Thanks for reminding me that I have it! Will definitely try washing it in The Laundress Detergent, which I also have thanks to you, lol. ��
    ~suburbanmom2

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks very handy; will keep it in mind, Janet; I especially liked that you explain how you keep the mop itself in good shape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This duster will be my next purchase on Amazon. I began using inexpensive paint brushes years ago to clean my Windsor chairs & other items with detail, but they are so small that it takes a while. I used to have a cheap imitation of this type of duster, but it got so dirty & I didn't know how to clean it...so I just threw it out. Thanks for another great tip.

    Anita - the cabin on the creek
    ...all is grace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the link . . . I used to have one of these, but never replaced it after it's years of excellent service.
    Have a sweet day and have fun cleaning!
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much better for the environment than the disposable dusters and it looks nice too...having the right tool for the job makes cleaning much easier and more enjoyable.
    Hope you have a lovely week Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having the right tool for cleaning makes the job actually enjoyable. This one is far better than the one I have. I bought a steam cleaner for doing the kitchen/hallway/bathroom floors and it has proven to be my best cleaning investment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. loving the beautiful glimpses of your cottage. it always looks so fresh and clean and inviting. I love the light filled rooms!
    thank you AJJ for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Janet,
    Your gorgeous wee house always looks so fresh & bright, that duster looks amazing! always makes cleaning a lot nicer & certainly easier with the right tools for the job!
    Hope that you don't mind me asking you this but I would love the name of the white paint that you have used throughout your house if you don't mind sharing, it looks so lovely? Take care, lots of love Amanda XXX ( from New Zealand)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. amanda the walls and trim are all in benjamin moore simply white. x

      Delete
  12. Cleaning and clean spaces bring me peace. Love this little jewel for dusting and it would be quick.
    Love your cottage...always a breath of fresh air!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have two of these dusters, a long and a short version. They're wonderful for all the reasons you mention. Do you love The Laundress products? Do you use many of them? I bet you've written a post about them; I should search for it. As always, I'm so happy when I see a post from you! I hope things are going smoothly. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i love the cashmere/wool detergent. a tiny bit goes a long way. i hand wash my vintage sweaters in it and i swear they look a little newer afterwards. i also use their cashmere and sweater spray for in between washings. idk if it helps with moths but since i've been using them i haven't had any and i had them before. x

      Delete
  14. Hello Janet!

    I have been trying to comment from my tablet but for some odd reason it won't let me. I have the same exact duster, but have bought another one that might be even better by Mr. Clean, it is microfiber and supposed to be machine washable. I also love to clean, guess that's one more reason I love your blog. Hope Larry continues to heal.

    Sincerely, Debra of SENC

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Janet,
    Are those lambswool dusters just the wool, or are they really lambskin with wool on?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoyed this post. I love cleaning products, too, and now am very tempted to buy one of these dusters. And can I just say how amazing your light fixture is? Wow!! Is it original to your house, or was it something you found at a vintage shop? The shape of the glass and the detail in the metal parts is incredible. I think my mouth fell open when I saw it. I like all of your detailed, close-up photos too.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Off to purchase 'spit spot' as M. Poppins would say : ) Sending all good wishes...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I almost bought this but then noticed it’s not vegan. Lambs suffer so much for products like this. Are you no longer vegan?

    ReplyDelete

kindness is never out of style.

Back to Top