this yellow house

 




Hello dear friends.  Today I'm sharing photos of a house I decorated during the pandemic.  I originally was not going to post because the owners are v private people.  But they just gave me the go-ahead and so 3 years later here we are.  I apologize for the copies of the photos from my iphone but over the years some were deleted and this is all I've got.  Also, I don't have all the befores but hopefully you will get the gist.  There are no photos of the new gorgeous kitchen because it has not been styled. 

A few facts about the house...it was built in 1902 and is a true gem of Redlands.  It was in the same family for many decades and even a Barnaby Jones episode was shot here in the 1970s!  The new owners took great care with its restoration.  This was no small project at 6000 sq ft, 6 bedrooms and 8 bathrooms.  All the major systems of the house were replaced with staggering attention to detail.   Then the house had to be decorated.  That process will continue for many years but what you see here is the first layer.  Enjoy!



This is the garden room to the left of the entry.  The photos don't do it justice.  The yellow wallpaper is probably from the 1940's.  I should inject here that the owners don't like a lot of clutter which is music to my ears.







This is a before of the entry.  





The woodwork throughout the entire home is exquisite.






A before of the dining room...



What a difference!  Ralph Lauren Marlowe wallpaper in Prussian Blue.









 




This is a little powder room across the hall from the dining room.  How charming is that sink?!



This is the family room to the right of the entry.  







Here are a few photos of the bathrooms.  All eight were entirely remodeled using lots of period correct details.














This is the only photo I have of the primary bedroom.  In person it is so fabulous!





This is the primary bedroom fireplace.  The house has 4.  


Isn't it gorgeous?!  It's one of those houses that you don't know where to sit because there are so many beautiful choices.  There is soo much more to the house but I thought you may enjoy this glimpse.  


Take care and stay cool...x

28 comments

  1. It’s so restful and beautiful, Janet. They must be over the moon happy with the results. Thank you so much for sharing…it’s a lovely treat whenever you post.
    xx
    Stephanie
    Tendrheart4

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun surprise to have a blog post from you this morning! I love the simple, uncluttered look, makes the rooms seem very spacious. Love the RL wallpaper in the dining room, and the combo of blue, black and white - so classic. Thank you for sharing and can't wait to see pics of the kitchen sometime. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness that is an incredible space, I bet you had a lot of fun decorating this historic home...I love the bathroom treatments with the black accents and the white subway tile.
    The linens on the bed look so elegant and sumptuous...you have exquisite taste Janet :-))

    So lovely that the owners gave you the go ahead to share these photos with all of your readers.
    We watch Restored with Brett Waterman on Magnolia network and see many beautiful historic homes in the Redlands area...
    Hope that you are enjoying your summer.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the simple clean style. Would love a blog post on the thought process for achieving that clean, edited look. Seems easy but it's not! Your style is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So calm and beautiful! As much as I loved seeing pics of the house, would also love to see pics of you and what you're wearing and how you're styling these days. I'm sure I'm not the only one. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful.

    Louise in Az

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! I'm very glad that the owners allowed you to share!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grand! Those floors and wallpaper! Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just so beautiful! So you on a larger scale. Love it. I am proud to say that years ago I fell in love with Ralph Lauren wallpaper which I used in my kitchen, and then another pattern for my tiny downstairs powder room. I never tire of them. So happy to see your post today. Darby

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, be still my heart! How absolutely exquisite. How fortunate they were to have had you do the decorating, and how fortunate for you to be able to spend so much time in such beautiful surroundings. I will go through these photos many times, I know. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an extremely special home! Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Janet, it's so beautiful! How do you stay so classic and historic and yet manage a modern/clean feel? That house is now shining in its fully glory!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! You did an amazing job Janet! I wish you were in Northern California; I'd turn you loose in my house any day! Your own house is always so beautiful, but you really knocked it out of the park with this one. It is absolutely stunning; congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That bedroom!!! Can't beat a double-aspect (or triple aspect??) I just love lying in bed and seeing trees all around me. Love the wooden floors too - just cannot be beaten. The sheer scale of the house would make me feel completely overwhelmed though and that's why I'd always take your house over this one. Well done, Janet. Are you getting commissions now from all over the city? You should be!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was me, above ↑

    ReplyDelete
  16. The dining room! Love. The wallpaper is genius, along with the crisp white original woodwork. It is such a bold, clean and elegant look. The house is beautiful; they must be so proud of it. Your touch is everywhere without being obvious. The bedding and curtains spilling onto the floor, that looks like pure Janet. The blue and white accents, the casual white slipcovers. Thank you (and your friends) for sharing photos with us!

    Hope you're enjoying the Summer. I always look forward to your posts. It's soooo nice to have you back.
    Erina xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you all for being willing to share with us. What a lovely house, and what amazing decoration to bring out even more beauty. (And oh what a blast from the past "Barnaby Jones" is!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful home and you did such a great job Janet! It must have been a challenge during the pandemic. I hope my comment goes through, I had issues the last time.
    Linda S.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, this house is stunning. Please thank your friends for sharing with us. I think I have the same yellow wallpaper in a bedroom in my very old house- makes my heart swoon! Love your style: it is so elegant and cozy. I wish you would come help me decorate. You are truly an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful...just beautiful! You are so very talented, Janet! 💙 Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks fabulous!
    Elizabeth@pineconesandacorns.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am soooooo glad you are back! I found you over the pandemic and read all your posts from the beginning. Just a wonderful place to visit and I love the way you see your world. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing. Love old houses, the woodwork is beautiful, this house is incredible. My favorite is the powder room with wallpaper. The owners and you have exquisite taste.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The bedroom is perfection. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for doing a blog post, Janet. To me, blog posts are so much more enjoyable than Instagram and other outlets. Plus Instagram is so commercialized and insanely disorganized.

    This is so beautiful. You did a great job creating this eye-candy for these folks.

    If you ever run out of things to share or talk about, I wish you would share how you manage to keep everything so tidy and orderly in your absolutely beautiful home. What did/do you do with all your grown children's memorabilia, family photos and other things that are excess? There are certain things that are just hard to part with. You may have covered this over the years but a refresher would be appreciated. You seem to have your life together as far as your home goes. Do you have a daily routine (again!)?
    Sincerely, Debra from SENC

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just checked your blog to see if there was an update. Missing your lovely posts! Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is beautiful ! I am so glad to be entering bloglandonce more and to have found you again ! Stay well !

    ReplyDelete

kindness is never out of style.

Back to Top